Fighting for the Needy

"Defend the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and needy." Psalm 82: 3

----

When I got on the tube, there were no available seats as the entire carriage was full of tourists. 

I noticed this elderly man standing. I could sense he was uncomfortable. 

On our public transport, there are always seats designated for the elderly, the disabled, parents with kids, and those who need a seat for other reasons.

I walked down the carriage and spoke to the elderly man, I asked if he wanted to sit down as there was a priority seat he could have. He wanted to sit down. I went over to the tourists and pointed to the sign above one seat and asked him to give up for the eldely man as he had priority. One man gave up his seat and apologised to the elderly man, as he obviously didn't know how the system worked.

The elderly man, who sounded American, thanked me. Before I got off, he waved goodbye to me.

I was thinking if I hadn't spoken up for that elderly man, he would have had an uncomfortable journey.

I'm reminded of when I used to volunteer as a patient companion at the hospital where my mum was cared for before she died. There were times when I would be with an elderly patient in pain and they refuse to ask for relief as they did not want to bother the staff. I would go up to the nurses and demand that they get a doctor to see the patient. From my experience of that system, if you don't have someone to fight your corner, you  will suffer in silence.

Thank you, God, for helping the needy. ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If at First You Don't Succeed

If God is Sovereign, Why is there Evil?

About Angels