Training My Inner Child

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22: 6

-----

I was chatting to a friend about when I used to work with young kids at primary school. I said I would teach them about, say, the importance of sharing the football. They would seem to take on board what I was saying. The very next day, the kids would  be fighting again over a football and I would have to repeat myself.  I had to keep repeating myself over and over again.  It was exhausting. I realised that must be what it's like being a parent. 

My friend, who is a dad, said  haviing children involves repeating yourself over and over again. That's the only way they learn.

It got me thinking about our Christian life. When you accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, your spirit is now one with Christ. However your mind remains the same.  In other words, you still have the same old wordly beliefs, thoughts and experiences of the non-believers. You have to keep renewing your mind or reprogramming your mind with the teachings in the Bible which takes time. 

When your mind is not renewed, you will only have an intellectual knowledge of the Bible, but you will not be able to apply that knowledge in your everyday life.

I am treating my mind just like a child and I will keep repeating teachings until she finally gets it. I am also very loving and patient with her.  

I am grateful for jobs like invigilating at art galleries because I use the time to renew my mind and meditate on Scripture.❤️

Here are sone verses about why it's important to meditate on Scripture or the Word.

1 "Blessed is the man

Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,

Nor stands in the path of sinners,

Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;

2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord,

And in His law he meditates day and night.

3 He shall be like a tree

Planted by the rivers of water,

That brings forth its fruit in its season,

Whose leaf also shall not wither;

And whatever he does shall prosper." Psalm 1: 1-3

---

20 "My son, give attention to my words;

Incline your ear to my sayings.

21 Do not let them depart from your eyes;

Keep them in the midst of your heart;

22 For they are life to those who find them,

And health to all their flesh."

Proverbs 4: 20-22

----

"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10: 17

----

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12: 2

----

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3: 16-17,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If at First You Don't Succeed

If God is Sovereign, Why is there Evil?

About Angels