In the World, Not of the World

"They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." John 17:16

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12: 2

---

When I told my flatmate, who is a school teacher, that I was booked at a particular secondary school, she warned me it was one of the worst schools in the Borough. As I was only going to do lunch cover, I didn't mind going there.

After I got dressed, my stomach started churning and then hurting. It felt like I was getting a tummy upset. I wondered if it was the prawn sandwich I ate. After I paid a visit to the loo, I wasn't feeling at all well so I called my agency to let her know I couldn't go in.  She asked if there was anything I could take so I could still go. She sounded more concerned about her contract than my wellbeing.  I certainly wasn't about to tell her that I was going to meditate on Psalm 46. I told her I was sorry, but I wasn't going to be able to make it. I then spoke to the other agent and told him I might not be able to make it to my usual Christian school in the afternoon.  He was very sympathetic and asked me to call him later to confirm if I was still not feeling well.

I then had a lie down and meditated on Psalm 46: 10 - "Be still and know that I am God." I also reminded myself that I have the same Spirit that raised Jesus from.the dead living inside of me, which is giving life to my mortal bodies. (Romans 8: 11)  

By midday, I was feeling back to normal and wondering whether I should take the whole day off. I was reminded that I was needed at the Christian school.  When I called my agent to let him know I was going in, he was surprised I had got better so quickly. When I arrived at the school, I discovered they would have struggled if I had not turned up and they hadn't got a replacement.

Later, when I told my flatmate I had not been able to work at the secondary school she'd warned me about, she said she wasn't surprised. She said it sounded like my stomach was literally turning at the idea of working at that school. 😀

The next day, while I was supervising some 3 to 5 year olds at the Christian school, one 4 year old girl came over to me and asked if I could put a bracelet around her wrist. As the bracelet was too big for her, I adjusted it so it wouldn't fall off. 

Later, she came over with a toy injection to give me a jab. She then came with what looked like a hammer and wanted to hit my knee.

"Why would you want to hurt my knee?" I said.  "I thought you were a doctor."

"I am, I need to hit your knee."

Another kid confirmed it was a correct medical technique. It was then I remembered that doctors do that to check your reflex.  Because I haven't been to the doctors in a long time, I had  forgotten about that.

The girl brought the "bracelet" she had asked me to put on her earlier and wanted me to wear it. It was then I realised it was a toy blood pressure arm band. After I put it on, she pressed a button attached to it to take my blood pressure and told me I needed medicine. She kept bringing me toy medicines to take and pumping me with toy injection. She also took my temperature and used her toy stethoscope to listen to my heartbeat. Another boy joined in and kept giving me jabs and listening to my heart. I was surrounded by quacks. 😀 It was fun pplaying octors and patient with the kids though.

I was amazed how the kids already knew what those medical toy instruments were used for. In other words, they've already been programmed into that medical world view.

My mind has been renewed to such an extent that I had forgotten the medical instruments until the kids reminded me.

Thank you, God, for renewing my mind. I am in the world, but no longer of the world.❤️

A portrait that the same little girl did of me. 😀



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If at First You Don't Succeed

If God is Sovereign, Why is there Evil?

About Angels