Love the Person, Not their Behaviour

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable," 1 Corinthians 13: 4-5, NLT

"For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me." Romans 7: 14-18, NKJV

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who[a] do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8: 1-2, NKJV

----

When I noticed this guy on the bus sitting with his feet resting on the seat opposite him, I started secretly giving him the evil eye.

I've learned in the past to be very careful about asking people to remove their feet, as some people don't like being told what to do. In my thoughts, I asked the Holy Spirit how He felt about the man.

"How do you feel about him?"  He said.

"Irritated as I hate when people do that as they are clearly showing a lack of consideration to others," I said. "What about you?"

"Love," He said. "I feel only love for him, not his behaviour."

"I guess, as Paul said, it is sin in him that is making him act that way."

"Exactly, so simply love him as God's creation," He said. "Love him as I love you. Do not focus on his behaviour, simply love."

I found while I was loving the guy, I was no longer feeling Irritated. I even loved his feet. I then loved everyone on the bus.

I thought about people whose behaviour I've tried to change and feeling frustrated and how my frustration affected our relationship. If I had just focused on simply loving them, they might have either adjusted their behaviour or not. 

The man kept his feet on the seat until it was time for him to get off. He and I got off at the same stop. As I was getting off, I said hello to another passenger and poured love on him.

I continued loving people I saw long the way.

Thank you, Holy Spirit, for teaching me how to love someone and not their behaviour.  ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If at First You Don't Succeed

If God is Sovereign, Why is there Evil?

About Angels