God is the Only Source

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4: 19

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1: 17

-----

On the bus, I could hear this teenage boy sitting at the back chatting on his phone. He sounded like he was talking to his mum or dad. He was telling them that he needed money to add to his bus pass. He said he needed a Pound, but it seems whoever he was speaking to was not convinced. If I had the money in my purse, I would have given it to him, but I don't tend to carry cash in my purse. I probably have about 50 pence in there now.

The boy's conversation got me thinking of God. Those of us who were brought up in Christian homes were taught at Sunday School that God is our Father and He is the Creator, but I don't remember ever seeing God as the Source of all good things including money. At least, I never got that impression from the adults in my family.

You see your parents and relatives going to work and you conclude that money comes fromthem or other people.

You see your parents or relative cooking and shopping and you think what you need comes from your mum,dad, relatives or people in general.

And so it goes on.

I believe that teenage boy on the bus has also bought the coolaid and believes the money he needs come from his parents or relatives.  When he grows up, he's probably going to think that he either has to work very hard to get his needs met or look to people like employers to give him a job so he can earn money and be able to provide the things he needs.

Even when people start praying to God to provide for them, that old habit of looking to externals is bound to blind you from seeing God as the sole Source and Provider though He may express His gifts through people.

I believe if parents teach their kids that God is the only Source and they should only look to Him for all their needs, they will automatically look to Him first for their needs and be open to the many ways God can meet their needs including their parents.

God is the Source of all my supply, not people.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If at First You Don't Succeed

If God is Sovereign, Why is there Evil?

About Angels